Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Arden of Faversham and Shakespeare Parallels

Well...

Someone on Twitter was saying that The Spanish Tragedy was written by Kyd and Arden of Faversham was also written by Kyd.

I have no idea who wrote either play, but the two plays were not written by the same person. You just have to skim them; it's obvious.

I posted some responses to him on Twitter but I deleted it, so let's just lay out some of the things I found here.

First there are two nice hunting references in the play, including dogs:

Alice. I thought you did pretend some special hunt,
That made you thus cut short the time of rest.

Arden. It was no chase that made me rise so early,
But, as I told thee yesternight, to go

And:

Greene. Well, take your fittest standings, and once more
Lime well your twigs to catch this wary bird.
I’ll leave you, and at your dag’s discharge
Make towards, like the longing water-dog
That coucheth till the fowling-piece be off,
Then seizeth on the prey with eager mood.

Then we have a nice lewd joke:

Clarke. O, Michael, the spleen prickles you. Go to,
you carry an eye over Mistress Susan.

Flinty heart appears ALL OVER Shakespeare, it's an Ovid reference:

Or make no battery in his flinty breast,

Of course not only do we have a cannon metaphor, it involves FORGING the cannon:

Mosbie. Such deep pathaires, like to a cannon’s burst
Discharged against a ruinated wall,
Breaks my relenting heart in thousand pieces.
Ungentle Alice, thy sorrow is my sore;
Thou know’st it well, and ’tis thy policy
To forge distressful looks to wound a breast
Where lies a heart that dies when thou art sad.
It is not love that loves to anger love.

Then we have a nice one about "clamorous" Shakespeare loved that word:

Sirrah, you that ask these questions,
If with thy clamorous impeaching tongue

Richard II even has an impeaching tongue of sorts, if you don't like that there are 14 other "impeach"es to chose from in the canon:

Or with pale beggar-fear impeach my height
Before this out-dared dastard? Ere my tongue 
Shall wound my honour with such feeble wrong,

"misevent" in Arden is apparently a word that appears only in this play:

Vengeance on Arden or some miseventTo show the world what wrong the carle hath done.

I hear Shakespeare likes to make up new words too?

pathaires too please someone figure out what's going on with that!

Shakespeare does use "sluttish" a lot:

If homely, I seem sluttish in thine eye:

There is even misgovernment in Shakespeare ("I am sorry for thy much misgovernment.") Holinshed AND Chaucer user it but it wasn't all that common:

Poor wench abused by thy misgovernment!

Arden:

The cullours beeing balefull and impoysoned
How I doo worke of these Impoysoned drugs,

Shakespeare:

How much an ill word may empoison liking. Much Ado About Nothing

As with a man by his own alms empoison'd, Coriolanus