Sunday, July 28, 2019

New Henry Neville Letter to an Unknown Woman ca. 1605

Henry Neville often kept drafts of his letters to serve as copies for his own use. I discovered an example of this in The National Archives and Neville researcher John O'Donnell has transcribed it.

It was likely written around 1605. We don't know yet to whom it was written, but this is the first example we have so far of a letter written by Henry Neville to a woman.


I will put in bold some parts that relate directly to the works of Shakespeare. I have modernized spelling for ease of reading:

Honorable Lady,

The honour I bear unto your self and to the house whereinto you have matched, makes me careful to give you the best satisfaction I can in all things. Therefore taking notice that you have conceived some offense that I gave not such entertainment as you expected unto a youth you sent unto me by the name of my nephew, I thought good before I went out of Town by these few lines to give you a true account of that matter, both what I did & why, and so leave it to your Judgement well informed to censure, with that favor that I presume of from you.

True it is that a servant of your ladyship's came unto me and told me that you had sent a nephew of mine which worked upon you to see me. I asked him what nephew he answered a Nevill, a brother's son of mine. I told him surely it was mistaken. for I had but one brother that had sons, the oldest whereof was brought up in my house, and the rest so young as I knew they were not fit to come out of his own. He replied that it was Francis Nevill's son. I answered that indeed such a brother I
had, though I had little Joy of him [Love's Labour's Lost], but that I was sure he had no children born in marriage; and for any other I would acknowledge no kindred to them.

I prayed him to commend my service unto your ladyship. and to let you know so much for I perceive you were abused in this information, and there was a mystery in it. Now Madame if by this occasion I have been driven to open that which might otherwise have been concealed, let not me be blamed, but the mother, who knowing all this to be true, would needs obtrude this matter upon me. For my part, I have reasons, & such as may concern my posterity in their inheritance to disclaim him as my brothers lawful son. Therefore your lap. I am sure will in your Judgement excuse me, if being sent to me in that quality of my nephew (which I know you did believing it to be so) I refused to acknowledge him for such.

In any other quality, not only he, but the meanest in your house coming from your ladyship, should have been, & ever shall be received, with that respect that I confess to be due unto you and which I will be ever ready to yield you. But this in very truth I did conceive to be a devise of the mothers, to insinuate by means, that which I may in no wise give way unto. And I must confess, that I was not willing to be so wrought upon by her. And that I assure your ladyship was my reason, and no want of affection or respect to your self, as I shall ever appear by my readiness to do you any service that shall lie in my power, when it shall please you to command me. And so appealing to your Judgement and favor for a good construction [Coriolanus] of my proceeding in this matter, and desiring to retain a place in your good conceit I humbly take my leave and remain

your ladyships very respective
kinsman to be commanded.

No comments:

Post a Comment