Sunday, November 25, 2018

The Most Shakespearean Neville Quote Yet

This from a letter sent to Thomas Windebank on 10 January 1600. This is Neville writing to someone he knew well, a contemporary from Berkshire. He probably didn't expect this letter to be shared widely, unlike the diplomatic letters he sent to Robert Cecil. Neville seems unguarded here and makes reference to a to Ashridge Wood in Berkshire, which Windebank would have known well:


"I should be glad to return, for the burden is too heavy for my purse, and is likely to increase, by the repair of English gentlemen to whom I cannot shut my gates, so that sometimes I have 12 or 16 of them at table. I will hold out as long as I can, and then my motto shall be, "fie upon honour that brings no profit;" and I will be a hermit in Ashridge or the forest, and do penance for the faults committed here. I am ashamed to see what idols we make of ambassadors there, when so little courtesy is shown them here."

Almost every word or phrase appears multiple times in Shakespeare's works:

"fie"!

"forest hermits"!

"honor that brings no profit"!

"shut the gates"!

"As he in penance wander'd through the forest; " (Shakespeare)


No comments:

Post a Comment